“That’s the best Egg Nog I’ve ever had!” said the American…
Perhaps one of the best compliments I could get seeing it was my first attempt. We sat there, sipping the drink and celebrating Christmas Day with much cheer and laughter.
Egg Nog. Egg. Nog. Discovering its awesomeness was probably the highlight of my Christmas. Egg Nog is amazing! Egg Nog is delicious! Egg Nog is strong!
I had wanted to make some for years, but it somehow always managed to get forgotten. Not this year. I researched many recipes. There are hundreds of variations. The mind boggled, or should that be noggled?
I then remembered my gorgeous cocktail book, Shaken, was sitting on the shelf, pining to be used. I read through the recipe and it seemed very good… It then became the definitive Egg Nog recipe once I had put my own twists on it. Enjoy.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 300g sugar
- 250ml cream
- 200ml milk
- 125ml Maker’s Mark Bourbon (or other good bourbon)
- 125ml Appleton Jamaican Rum (or other fine rum)
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff, then slowly add a third of the sugar, and beat until glossy.
- Hand whisk the egg yolks with a third of the sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Slowly add the bourbon and the rum, whisking well.
- In another bowl, lightly whisk the cream with the remaining sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Gently fold in the cream mixture into the yolk mixture and add the milk. Fold through the egg whites and chill.
- Serve cold with freshly grated nutmeg. Bliss.
Warning: it packs a punch.
Warning: it is addictive.
Warning: it will make your mother very loud and exclamatory… Exclamations may include when told she’s had enough Egg Nog,
“I don’t even want the egg, just give me the nog.”
Warning: this drink will change your life, for the better.
Warning: do not be a nog hog… It results in a pounding headache.
How befitting that whilst Mum and I watched a new Christmas episode of The Simpsons, this should appear…
Let me assure you there was much nog abuse. But it was worth it.