Bacon. The UK does bacon better than anywhere I’ve been, and Bevan’s Butchers does bacon better than anywhere I’ve found; their smoked streaky bacon is unbelievable.
Another delicious thing beginning with the letter b, is bourbon and why not put these two loves together and make a Bacon Old Fashioned?
- 2 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- sugar for dusting
- 50ml bourbon
- one sugar cube
- 3 dashes bitters
- To candy the bacon, preheat oven to 180˚C and roll bacon in the sugar.
- Place bacon on a tray and cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until the desired level of crispiness is achieved.
- Set one rasher aside for garnish and leave the other to cool before chopping into small pieces and placing into the bourbon to infuse.
- Let the bourbon get all bacony. Help it infuse by stirring it round a bit. Wait as long as you can but it will still be delicious even after a few minutes.
- To build the Old Fashioned, place the sugar cube in the glass followed by a few splashes of bitters and some ice. Muddle until the sugar dissolves and then add the bourbon (having strained the bacon out). Garnish with a rasher of candied bacon. Enjoy.